Saturday, November 3, 2012

Quidam Costumes: Then and Now

I love Cirque du Soleil, and Quidam was the first Cirque show I ever saw live. That was way back in 1996, the year the show first opened; I saw it with my high school French club while it was playing in Santa Monica. Last night I had the opportunity to see it again, and it's still just as amazing as it was 16 years ago.

On the other hand, some things have changed. I found the costume changes to be... interesting. Tell me if you notice a trend*:

Diabolos, 1996:


Diabolos, 2012:


Balancing on Canes, 1996:


Balancing on Canes, 2012:



Cloud Swing, 1996:


Cloud Swing, 2012:


On the other hand, some of the costumes looked like they hadn't changed at all.

For example, the aerial silks contortionist still looked like she was wearing nothing:

Aerial Silks, 1996:


Aerial Silks, 2012:


As did the "statue" team:

Statue, 1996:


Statue, 2012:


The German Wheel guy (who is not the same guy--only four of the cast members were the same as the 1996 crew) got a hat:

German Wheel, 1996:


German Wheel, 2012:


Incidentally, we did not see the German wheel. There was a wheel, but it was only a single hoop, like a very large hula hoop. The performer still did amazing things with it, but I was a bit disappointed to not see the double wheel.

And, just for fun, here's a group shot. I think the newer one is some sort of hybrid photograph/graphic:

Banquine, 1996:


Banquine, 2012:

 
All in all, a spectacular way to enjoy the evening.

To learn more about the show, visit their site at www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/quidam.



*All images were taken from the Quidam souvenir programs, and are copyright Cirque du Soleil.

No comments: