Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I Love My Brain

Some weeks ago I had a song stuck in my head. I couldn't figure out what it was, or where I'd heard it. I sang it for a friend of mine, someone smart and musical who might know such a thing, but she didn't know either. So, I wrote it down in my journal to look up someday in the future...

Today as I was listening to a (relatively) new CD, I found the answer. It was Cirque du Soleil! It was from the show I'd seen back in August with Elegyrl, called Iris. You can hear the song here. It's called "Movie Studio."

Isn't that a fun song?

I had only listened to the CD once before today, and that was on the way home from the show, right after I'd purchased it. And yet, my brain somehow, for some reason, resuscitated that song and kept it rattling around in my head, two months after first hearing it.

I love that my brain does this: it takes songs and melodies that I've heard only once or twice, puts them away for a while, then brings them out again, still formed, at some random future date. I don't necessarily remember what the tunes are from, or what they're called, or the words or lyrics (if any), but my brain is great at remembering the music. Heck, I can even sing you commercial jingles that came out on TV when I was a child.

This is a gift. I cannot take credit for this gift, because I can't control it, nor do I know how it works, I just know my brain does it. And I love that.

1 comment:

elegyrl said...

that's exciting! I have actually listened to the soudtrack more often than you. I also have it on my ipod so at random I hear some of the songs from it! I can picture with most of them the actual part of Iris it's from and sort of re-watch the show!