Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Most years I avoid making official new year's resolutions, as I prefer to set goals on my own schedule. If anyone asks, however, I just tell them the two "new year's resolutions" I've had every year for the past 8 years:

1. Eat more chocolate.

2. Read more Harry Potter.

The advantage to having these resolutions is that if I do accomplish them, I have therefore accomplished my goal, and can rejoice. If I fail, however--by eating less chocolate or reading less Harry Potter--it doesn't really matter because it's probably healthier anyway. It's a win-win situation, and I don't have to worry when December rolls around about whether or not I achieved my goals for the year. Plus I can actually remember what those goals are.

This year, however, I've determined to set some official New Year's Resolutions. I haven't actually decided what they will be, but I'm thinking about it. My goal for this week is to decide. How do you like that? A goal to set a goal.

Ironically, I'm rereading the Harry Potter books right now, so if I never end up setting my goals, I'll at least have accomplished my fallback resolution. I'll wait until later in the year (until after the holiday sugar overload wears off) to worry about the chocolate.

1 comment:

elegyrl said...

Harry Potter and chocolate are both very comforting! I like that plan! I too didn't really set any "new years" resolutions but I am trying to continue to lose weight (I started early so it isn't really a new years thing and I don't plan on giving up either like most people do with New years goals) Anyways read my blog... for more stuff on my mind about all that!