Friday, August 29, 2008

Timpanogos Storytelling Festival

Earlier this year I told my friend I wanted to go to the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival. I was living in California at the time, so this was a big resolution. Then I decided that in order for my desire to become a reality, I needed to be more assertive.

"I'm going to the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival!" I asserted. And that was that.

In early August I moved to Utah, and I still have no job (which usually lines up with having no money, too, an unfortunate consideration when trying to do extracurricular or social activities, such as attending storytelling festivals), and I had pretty much given up on the idea--I wasn't even really aware of when it was any more--when another friend called me to let me know she'd be playing in one of the music groups at the festival.

"I'm not sure if I can go," I said over the phone.

I can't remember if I mentioned I had no money or if she knew that already, but she suggested, "Have you looked into volunteering?"

Why no, no I hadn't. So I did. This is was Monday. The festival started yesterday (Thursday). They only had a few shifts left for volunteer work, so I chose the van driving on Thursday night. Four and a half hours in a van? I can do that. Heck, I'm used to driving a van! In return, I was given two adult tickets to the full event. Not a bad tradeoff for only 4.5 hours of work.

As Carmen Deedy said today in one of her stories, "Sometimes the universe just puts it in your hand."

3 comments:

elegyrl said...

I am glad you got to go! I hope that you are having/ have had a great time!! Thanks for your letter! I especially loved the chicken and the bug story on the envelope! It made me smile!

Alicia said...

I'm glad that you got to go. It is so cool when things work out like that, as if they were meant to be all along.

Olive Kite said...

I am glad that you volunteered and did something that you wanted to do.

I also think it's pretty admirable to want to do something so much.

A favorite line (although out of context it might not work so well): "Time's a thief--I've been robbed."