Thursday, August 14, 2008

Blinkers

Using a blinker is just like asking, "Excuse me, may I please come over?"

To which the car in the applicable lane says, "Why yes, come right over."

Unless, of course, the car in the applicable lane never learned to share or have good manners when it was just a Matchbox-sized toddler, in which case the car in the applicable lane speeds up and says, "No! My lane!"

On a separate but related note: Don't you think if you were driving a motorcycle, which is already more dangerous than driving a car, you would adhere to such common-sense traffic laws as red lights? All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't start going right when my light turned green, because I was already in the intersection when he zoomed in front of me.

Conclusion: I am not going to make any comments about region-specific driving (because I don't think that's very fair or very true), but I will say that I am more accustomed to the unspoken rules of driving in California. I am more able to anticipate the actions of other drivers and the potential dangers of the areas. Someday I will have driven more in Utah than in California, and the balance will probably tip the other way. But until then, I'd best be alert.

3 comments:

ol' Bob said...

A random association, which is one of those things I do, based on statements about careful and anticipatory driving.

Human: He doesn't like you.
Luke: I'm sorry.
Human: I don't like you either. You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.
Luke: I'll be careful.
Human: You'll be dead!

Let's hope it doesn't come anywhere close to that.

As for motorcycles,I think many people who ride them never outgrew that adolescent sense of invulnerability. Nothing can possibly go wrong because I am cool.

elegyrl said...

Blinkers are so overrated! :) You want to hear something that I think is funny.... oh welkl you are going to hear it anyway! :) I use my blinker so much and it comes fairly naturally that even when i am in the ambulance driving code I have noticed myself do it... Like I really need to warn people where I am turning when they are supposed to be out of my way to begin with?? I think its funny

Alicia said...

As a lifetime Utah resident, let me offer some advice. Always assume that all drivers are out to get you. They won't signal or follow traffic laws. Just because you think they are in a parking lot and they see you, doesn't mean they won't wait until you are close before pulling out in front of you. At traffic lights, don't go when it turns green. Wait at least a few beats. Look both ways and then venture out slowly. Keep your finger or hand poised to honk your horn. You're going to need it!