Friday, February 19, 2010

Elizabeth's Tea Shop

The first time I went to Elizabeth's Tea Shop and tried a Cornish pasty, I was elated--the atmosphere was warm and the food was delicious. Today, however, I received a distressing email from the shop (I'm on their email list)(formatting modified from original):

Elizabeth Bakery Announcement: New Change to the Bakery
Feb. 19, 2010

The past two years have been very difficult for the bakery and the bakery continues to run at a loss. Therefore as a way of trying to avoid closure we have had to lay off most of our employees. We have retained Tara and Rachel and have decided to concentrate on catering and take away orders for the present.

To this end we have had to close three more days of the week and so from now on the bakery will be open for take away orders only on Fridays and Saturdays and remain closed Monday through Thursdays. This will enable Tara to concentrate on filling phone in and catering orders during those days. You will be able to collect phone orders from Tuesday to Saturday by arrangement however. Friday and Saturday you will be able to come in and choose from the bakery cabinets to take away without phoning first.

We hope that at some point the bakery will re-open for eat in diners. In the meantime we hope you will still continue to buy and enjoy our unique range of English baked goods.

We would love to cater for your next party!

New Opening Hours
Take Out
Monday to Thursday: closed, collections by arrangement
Friday & Saturday: 9.00 AM 5.00 PM
Telephone orders: 801.433.1170 (Tuesday to Saturday 9.00 AM 5.00 PM)
Order fax line: 801.433.1171
Most special orders need 24 hour notice.
For questions call Tara 801 433 1170
Robin and Elizabeth Grey

Now, dear readers, I believe this calls for action! If you live in or near Salt Lake and have never visited Elizabeth's Tea Shop, now is the time! If you have been before, you know how superb the food is, so go back and get more! For my part, I am resolved to frequent them more often.

I could rave on and on about the food, the people, the fun British stuff in The London Market next door... but all I will say is this: GO.

Elizabeth's Bakery and Tea Shop
575 South 700 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84102

1 comment:

elegyrl said...

this makes me sad... you told me about it once and I think you had said we would try and go there during one of my visits, but it never happened! Hopefully things get better for them soon!