Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Tale of Two Quarters

Yesterday I visited Tuffett manor (always a fun event). While playing in the backyard castle, I gave Prince and Princess Tuffett one quarter each. Princess Tuffett took to placing her coin on various ledges in turn, then picking it up again. Prince Tuffett ran off towards the garden with his treasure.

Queen Tuffett dropped by to see how we were doing, and we taught Princess Tuffett how to put her quarter in her pocket. Prince Tuffett then came galloping back into the castle and tried to take Princess’s quarter. He was, of course, thwarted by the adults.

“Where’s your own quarter?” I asked.

“It’s gone,” Prince Tuffett said.

“Where did it go?”

“I threw it. I don’t know where it landed.”

“Wow,” I said, laughing. I wasn’t surprised, knowing Prince Tuffett, but I thought that was a remarkably short time in which to lose something, even for him. “You didn’t even have that three minutes!”

Queen Tuffett rolled her eyes.

“Oh well,” I said. “Too bad.”

Prince Tuffett ran off again to fight some dragon or other, and life moved on.

Later that night, after the wee ones had been royally scrubbed and tucked in bed, I spied a quarter on the counter in the loo. Queen Tuffett confirmed that it was Princess Tuffett’s coin, and that the young princess held onto it while getting ready for her bath because she didn’t want to lose it.

I’m guessing that by now, Princess Tuffett’s quarter is in her personal treasury pig.

Prince Tuffett’s quarter is somewhere in the grass.

The end.

No comments: