Monday, July 11, 2011

A Flute By Any Other Name

The particular organ which I play each Sunday has these stops, among others:


Harmonic Flute
Flûte Celeste
Spitzflöte

On the swell, there are these:


Flauto Traverso
Flûte à Bec

No wonder I can never figure out what all the different organ stops mean: they’re throwing all the German, French, English and Italian terms in there all together, and I’m not quadrilingual!

flute (English)
flûte (French)
flöte (German)
flauto (Italian)

I did, however, discover a fantastic site (thank you Wikipedia!) called the Encyclopedia of Organ Stops. Maybe I’ll spend some time there; looks easier than learning two new languages, at least. ;o)

1 comment:

Heather Dixon said...

...and they ALL sound like bagpipes being sat on!

(at least, when *I* play them they do hahah.)