Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Money Talks


...and it says, "You spent HOW much on smashed coins at Disneyland?"

I will tell you:

  • 17 smashed quarters at $1.25 each (one dollar for the smashing, plus the quarter to be smashed)
  • 3 smashed dimes at 85¢ each (75¢ for the smashing, plus the dime to be smashed)
  • 7 smashed nickels at 80¢ each (75¢ for the yadda yadda, you get the picture)
  • 78 smashed pennies at 51¢ each (50¢ + 1¢)
= $67.18
(you guys can do the math to double check me if you want, because I did it mostly without a calculator).

The good thing about collecting smashed coins is that they are an inexpensive souvenir compared to everything else sold at Disneyland. The bad thing is that once I start collecting things, I like to have a well-developed collection. Besides that, buying the smashed coins never actually suffices as a souvenir; I usually get something else too, even if it's only one of the delicious chocolate-covered peanut butter graham cracker sandwiches. Okay, I guess food isn't actually a souvenir, but the point is that the spending never stops with just the coins.

All the same, it is kind of fun to have some sort of quest when I go to Disneyland. It's like a game, a very slow blackout game that I'll never get blackout on because they'll always keep changing the machines.

It's Disneyland. It's a diversion. What else can I say?

5 comments:

Schmath said...

I've never heard of chocolate-covered peanut butter graham cracker sandwiches, but now I NEED one! I don't think I can wait until my next Disneyland trip.

Betty Edit said...

Oh, you do need one. Trust me. :o)

You can get them at the bakery by the Winnie the Pooh Ride (it's just as you come out of the ride), or if you are at California Adventure, you can get them at the Main Street bakery, which is at the end of that huge main shopping cluster at the front of the park. I would imagine that the Main Street bakery at Disneyland sells them also, but I've never checked. They're about 3-4 inches square, and they cost four dollars.

:o)

ol' Bob said...

Main Street Bakery in Disneyland does sell them.

Janet said...

When our kids were young they discovered it was really fun to leave coins on the railroad tracks in front of my parents home in southern Idaho. They would usually leave nickols, dimes, pennies and a few quarters, then wait about half way though the day when the train would finally come by and then they could run out and find the smashed coins! I don't know what happened to our treasured coins, wish we would have kept them! So if you every want to go smash coins on the railroad tracks in Idaho let me know!

elegyrl said...

I don't think I want to know how much my smashed coin collection cost ;-) I have otehrs too not just DL! Next time I go to DL if I decided to buy and send you a PB sandwich I will have to try to remember to buy 2, but I would have to trust that you will share with Schmath!