Monday, March 29, 2010

Matches

Have you ever seen statements similar to this one?:

"Once a match is used, discard it properly. If you blow out a match and throw it in the trash, there is a danger that it might not be totally extinguished." (found online at least here and here)

Well, I have been trying to start a fire like that for years, and it has never resulted in anything.

I think it is because I am using the strike on box matches:

instead of the strike anywhere matches:


I'm not going to rush right out and buy some strike anywhere matches just to try it, but I'll let you know how it goes when I eventually switch.

2 comments:

elegyrl said...

You are too funny sometimes! I have never ben much of a pyro, I am actually the girl who blows out a match or whatever and then runs it under water before throwing it away to make sure the trash doesn't catch on fire. So I can't tell ya if the strike anywhere's are any better!

ol' Bob said...

Be sure to prepare the waste basket properly by providing a good layer of dry and partly shredded tissue paper in which to toss the still-glowing match.