Monday, March 12, 2012

Box Appeal

I found a little pill box at Target that I knew Princess Tuffett would like: it was pink and plastic, had a black swirly design, and came in a set of two for one dollar. Target also carried similar boxes in blue (which was actually more of a teal) and black. You can see the black box online (which is more expensive than in-store).

Princess Tuffett loves little boxes, and loves putting things into and taking things out of boxes. I thought that for one dollar, the boxes were totally worth it. The only problem is that once you give one kid something, you have to give the other kid something too. I thought, “What could I give to Prince Tuffett?” He doesn’t like little pill boxes, and his favorite color is green, not blue or black. Eventually, however, I decided to just get him the blue boxes, and oh well whether he liked them or not.

I gave Princess her present first, in order to give Prince time to become jealous, and then I gave Prince his boxes. He didn’t want them. He looked at them disdainfully and said, “I don’t like blue.”

“Ok,” I said, putting them back in my bag. “You don’t have to have them.”

Princess Tuffett had me help her open her package, and then we opened each box so she could see how they worked. She placed the opened boxes carefully on the table. Then she reached into my bag and pulled out the blue boxes that Prince had rejected. We opened those too, and she lined them up with the pink boxes.

Prince Tuffett, who had been playing with his Lego ship, looked up and noticed what Princess Tuffett was doing.

“Hey, those are mine!” he said, snatching the blue boxes away.

“I thought you didn’t want them,” I said.

Prince Tuffett made no reply, only placed his boxes in the hold of his Lego ship.

Amazing how the value of a thing can change so quickly when a younger sibling is involved. :o)

No comments: